WSC Wrestling

William Barnard, Staff Writer

Wayne State College Wrestling Club stepped up and wrestled in the University of Nebraska-Kearney Holiday Inn Open which consisted of over 500 wrestlers from both NCAA Division I and II as well as other difficult varsity programs.

The team has continuosly competed above their skill level to try to learn and enhance their abilities before the NCWA

National Duals in January and the conference and national tournaments in March, and this tournament was no different.

“The team continues to improve each week and transfer heavyweight Tyson Cisneros, who was a state runner-up for Lincoln Pius X back in 2014, is coming back up to wrestling speed with a strong 3-2 showing at UNK,” coach Greg VanderWeil said.

“Teammate Hunter Weiss at 149 lbs. went 2-2 and Gerald Kenkel at 174 lbs. also picked up a win for the Wildcats. All the guys wrestled well, this was just a very tough place for our NCWA team to compete.”

The Wildcats faced opponents from every level in the tournament and that trend will continue with almost every match until conference playoffs as the team is trying to hone in on their current skills.

“We practice technique every week, and always are trying to improve,” VanderWeil said. “I tell the boys that the season doesn’t start until conference hits.”

While the guys are gearing up and focusing in on techniques, VanderWeil did mention that it’s not too late to join the team as they are still looking for someone to enter into the 125lbs. and the 184lbs. divisions and you can contact him at [email protected]

The ’Cats next hit the mats this Saturday at the Buena Vista Open in Storm Lake, Iowa.