Students learn about Dia De Los Muertos with food and entertainment

Photos by Ellie Tran

Ana Mata, Staff Writer

Spanish Club, Latinos United Club, and International Club all sponsored a Dia De Los Muertos (also known as Day of the Dead) party last Thursday in honor of the holiday.

“The Vice President of the Spanish Club reached out to us, and I thought it was a good idea to get everyone together,” Jennifer Lopez, vice president of Latinos United Club, said.

“The Spanish Club reached out towards International Club and Latinos United Club,” said McKaylla Christian, vice president of Spanish Club. The International Club helped fund and the Latinos United Club helped fund and decorate.”

The holiday starts on Oct. 31 and ends Nov. 2. Dia De Los Muertos is a Mexican holiday celebrated by people of Mexican heritage.

It’s a multi-day celebration for family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died.

“I really liked Day of the Dead so I said we should do something really cool,” Christian said.

The clubs worked together to provide food and entertainment they had homemade tamales, cake and different candies and sweets. They had a balloon contest and prizes for winners and had decorated the entire room decorated in different banners and flowers.

They even had their own ofrenda. An ofrenda in generally created for an individual who has died, and it is intended to welcome them to the altar setting. It is typically decorated with flowers, possessions and photos of people who have passed on.

“Next year we would like some thoughts from outside sources about maybe stuff that we could do,” Christian said. People who want a big event or a big holiday to be done on campus we could sure throw it.”