Flu shots available to students for free

Brenna Vovos, Staff Writer

With flu season upon us, Wayne State College Student Health will be giving free flu shots to WSC students on Tuesday, Oct. 30.

Getting a flu shot will help prevent you from getting the flu and keeping others around you healthy.

Regina Korth and Kathy Bird, two nurses at WSC Student Health, both understand the importance of predicting flu strains.

The flu vaccine is made each year to protect against certain viruses. It can still provide some protection against a virus even if that specific virus doesn’t exactly match the virus the flu vaccine is targeting.

“[The flu vaccine is made up of] four strains of what they think that we’ll see this season,” said Korth, “But, it doesn’t mean that’s right,” said Bird. “And what the strains are, we don’t know.”

Flu season is typically considered to be October through May each year. It is mainly spread by coughing, sneezing, and close contact. There are precautionary steps one can take to help prevent the flu.

“I think the main thing is staying away from other that are sick,” Korth said. “I think that’s the hard part because you live in close quarters. I always say if you leave your house at all, you’re prone to getting something. The best medicine for it is fluids, rest, and hand washing.”

The flu vaccine can keep you from getting the flu, make flu less severe if you do get it, and keep people from spreading flu to their families and other people. Elderly people, babies, and people with certain health conditions are more prone to catching the flu.

Korth also took commuters and the community of Wayne into account regarding this year’s vaccine.

“I want to remind people that USave, Shopko, and actually all the pharmacies have the flu shot as well,” Korth said.

Student Health only gets 200 flu vaccines each year. They typically run out of the flu shot fairly quickly.

“Last year we ran out in one day and we’ve never done that before,” Bird said.

Student Health, along with many other clinics are holding shot clinics where it is possible to get the flu shot.

The flu vaccine is important to protect your health and those around you.