WSC soccer vs Crookston

William Barnard, Staff Writer

The Wildcats came out guns blazing on their home turf as they beat The Golden Eagles 6-0. Wayne State College got their fifth shutout on the season.

The ‘Cats held a 9-0 shot advantage on the Golden Eagles in the first 30 minutes. The tenth shot found the back net of the goal for the Wildcats as they broke the tie.

“The biggest key to yesterday’s shutout was that we played as a team the whole game,” freshman goalkeeper Alyssa Bagley said. “In past games, we usually just deliver one half.”

Wayne State scored two goals in the first half of the game but came out even hotter in the second half and added four more goals to the score. The seniors were honored before the game Sunday and the team certainly played for the seniors.

“Yesterday we all knew what had to get done and we played the whole game with passion and intensity for our seniors,” Bagley said.

The Wildcats only put five of their six goals in the soccer net due to the fifth goal of the game being a moment of unfortunate events for a Crookston defender as a cross ball deflected off her leg and into the goal for an own goal.

The ‘Cats defense did not allow a shot on goal in Sunday’s contest against the Golden Eagles.

“My defense is my biggest help,” Bagley said. “Especially Natalie Rech and Alexis Strothers. They have been a big key in me learning how to communicate during the game. Along with Sam Phillips’ speed to get back to me is incredible. If I didn’t have them those five shutouts wouldn’t have happened.”

Wayne State looks to build off of the incredible shutout as they take on Concordia St. Paul at home Friday, Oct. 26.