Senior to be awarded Dr. Ron Holt Civic Award

The award is awarded to a senior known for superb service learning

Halleigh Hawkins, Staff Writer

The Dr. Ron Holt Civic Engagement Award is awarded to a senior at WSC on April 25, 2019 for serving as an exemplary role model and participation in community service learning. Participation in leadership activities and at least one servicelearning project is required to apply for the award. Holt graduated from WSC in 1989 and believes that leadership is an important quality to establish. The Civic Engagement Award started in 2013 to recognize a senior who has served as an exemplary role model and also contributed to the service of the college campus and in the community.

“I strongly believe that community service should be an integral part of any person’s attributes,” said Dr. Ron Holt. “When selecting a recipient, we strive to find people who excel both in community service and in the classroom, as well as provide leadership on campus and in the community.”

The application process for the award is online. Any student who meets the eligibility requirements may apply. The application includes the online form, two letters of recommendation, a personal narrative, resume (including GPA), and three additional questions. All of these elements are submitted online in the form together, so it is important to have all of these ready before starting the application process. The application deadline is at 3 p.m. on March 29, 2019.

“This award should be applied for by all seniors that have shown outstanding service to mankind both in and out of the classroom,” said Holt. “The award has become very competitive, which shows the caliber of student leaders WSC has cultivated over the years.”

Graduating seniors who have participated in at least one project, have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, have served as a leader for a campus or community club or organization, and have maintained good conduct and academic record during his or her tenure are eligible to receive the award. The winner of the award will receive a $500 gift, trophy, and graduation recognition. The award is presented at a luncheon with Holt and the three finalists.

The committee is made up of Holt, President Marysz Rames, Director of Service Learning Lisa Nelson, community member Sandy Brown, and athletic director Michael Powicki. The community and campus members can change through the years. To determine a winner, the committee reads and ranks the applications separately.

“The committee doesn’t look for specific service-learning, they look just to see whether the student has participated,” said Lisa Nelson. “And then the look for the quality of the student’s response. So it’s really about the student’s explanation and response to their service-learning; that is what we’re looking for.”

Holt continues to donate, endow many scholarships, and also serves as a Wayne State Foundation Trustee. Holt also makes an annual trip back each homecoming to speak and educate students and staff about LGBTQ issues and civil rights. He also travels nationally to speak about LGBTQ healthcare, bullying issues, and how to reduce suicide rates