Lambda Eta Pi spreads positivity

The group has been spreading kind words on campus

Lisa Dohmen, Staff Writer

If you have seen students outside of academic buildings shouting compliments on megaphones, don’t be alarmed, it’s just Lambda Pi Eta with their “Say Something Nice” campaign.

The “Say Something Nice” campaign is an activity Lambda Pi Eta, as a nationally recognized honors society, does every year around midterms or homecoming.

This campaign is one of the most looked forward to events of the year for the members of Lambda Pi Eta according to Deb Whitt.

“I have been the advisor of Lambda Pi Eta for 10 years. The ‘Say Something Nice’ campaign is a national movement of civility to promote saying something nice instead of vindictive,” Whitt said. “The members feel rewarded participating in the worthwhile activity because they are making awareness to make others feel good.”

There were specific times that Lambda Pi Eta members wanted to be outside to give compliments.

“We wanted to be outside when there were a lot of students walking in between classes,” Whitt said. “This also worked well to promote our organization.”

Although the most notable piece of the campaign is the outside phase, the campaign is filled with much more.

“Members also get together and write sticky notes to put in different academic buildings. Because it is close to midterms, students may need a pick-me-up. This activity is beneficial for creating climates of dialogue rather than conflict,” Whitt said.

Morgan Sudbeck is a member of Lambda Pi Eta and participates every year in “Say Something Nice.”

“It is a campaign we do every year around this time. We discussed it at a previous meeting, and I simply had to show up,” Sudbeck said. “We campaigned for two days from 11:30-12 outside of Humanities in between classes.”

Even with technical difficulties in the beginning, the Lambda Pi Eta members found a way to spread kind words according to Sudbeck.

“Typically we use a megaphone to say nice things to other WSC students. However, our megaphone didn’t work the first day so we reverted to the classical shouting,” Sudbeck said.

Sudbeck also said many members of the Wayne State College community benefited from the activity.

“Not only did Lambda Pi Eta members benefit from this campaign but WSC students did as well. This campaign for me is a reminder of how saying nice things to someone can be so uplifting and brighten someone’s day as well as my own,” Sudbeck said.

Sudbeck hopes the campaign makes a lasting impact on everyone here at WSC and she saw that come to fruition soon after the outdoor phase of the campaign.

“After we were done campaigning I was headed to class when I overheard two non-lambda students exchanging kind words. This made my day seeing and hearing our campaign in action,” Sudbeck said. “Kind words have a positive chain reaction, and that’s our ultimate goal with this campaign.”