Time for your annual flu shot

Students can receive a free flu shot Oct. 7

Derek Pufahl, Staff Writer

Influenza, with its violent attempts to conquer the immune system, will be trying harder than ever this season to keep you from attending classes.

Luckily, the student services that you pay for in student health fees are providing the flu shot on Oct. 7 in the Frey Conference Suite from 2-4:30 p.m.

The majority of our Student Health’s budget goes to over the counter medications like decongestants, nasal spray, ear drops and allergy medicine. The types of things you might need to help fight off irritating symptoms like a simple cough, sore throat or a drippy nose.

However, for the past three years enough money has been allocated to allow for the influenza vaccine.
Ergo, Flu Shot Day.

Dean of Students Jeff Carstens said the extra money comes from a slight increase in student health fees. The fee is now at $4 a credit hour, capped at 12 hours.

When the extra money became available, the Student Health Office was left to determine what to do with it.

“We decided we should do something that could help out everybody,” said Director of Student Health Regina Korth, “and then we thought, everyone needs flu shots.”

“We really don’t try to spend money on things for the office like technology,” Korth said, gesturing to an “older” computer that would probably cause a world of frustration to anyone from our tech-savvy generation.

According to Carstens, the Student Health Office estimates the number of students coming in for shots and meets that demand. Student Health will be giving out about 200 shots, roughly the same number it has been providing for the past 3 years.

“The shots go pretty quickly,” Korth said. “They’re usually gone in like an hour. It’s kind of exciting.”

The shots do go quickly. Some students were unable to receive a shot last year because they didn’t get there soon enough.

If the turnout is as good, there may be an increase in shots available next year in order to meet the growing demand. It’s even possible that a second round of shots could become available yet this year.

“[Getting the flu shot] is a good precaution to take,” Carstens said. “I’d encourage students to make use of the student services they’ve paid for. There are a lot of good services available.”

If Student Health runs out of shots before you’ve gotten yours, head down to U Save or Shopko’s pharmacy. Most insurance companies will cover the entire cost, which is $28 without insurance.

Being stuck in bed, achy, tired and sneezing is no way to go through college. Help your body prepare by getting the flu shot. There is no need for insurance or an appointment.

The only thing required is a student ID, and perhaps a bit of bravery for those with needle phobia.