Trying to stay focused when it matters

Justin Yost, Staff Writer

It’s homecoming week, which means midterms are right around the corner. This time of year it can be hard to stay focused with a number of things to look forward to.

Midterm break is looming and the thought of going home to see friends and loved ones, or maybe just the idea of having a long lazy weekend sounds too good to wait for. Take it from someone who has been here for a while, these coming weeks are more important than most. These weeks could make or break your semester.

Every class is different at Wayne State. For some classes, like I am in this semester, one of your only grades before midterms is your midterm test.

If you don’t stay focused and do poorly on the midterm test, it could set you up to be behind and have a hard second half of the semester trying to catch up.

Here are some study tips and ways to stay focused going into these important weeks.

With about two weeks before midterms, it is time to start getting organized, if you haven’t started yet. If you are like me, you need to start multiple weeks ahead to get everything organized that you have just shoved in your backpack over the course of the semester.

Most teachers will give you an idea of what is on the test and what is most important. You should organize accordingly.

Once you are organized, create a study guide. You may already have a study guide from the teacher, but it is smart to create your own. It can be based off the teachers, but writing it out yourself will help you remember the material.

Get with other people in the class and study together. Studying together can give you a different perspective on the topic and help you learn new study habits. Depending on the people in the group, a lot of other things could get done besides studying.

As long as studying is happening this can be a good thing. Breaks are good.

Don’t cram. As I said before, breaks are a good thing. Just cramming a bunch of material in at one time will hurt your chances of remembering the material.

Depending on the class flashcards can help a lot. It may seem elementary to use flash cards, but they are a good tool to test yourself.

Set up a study calendar. Set aside time every day to study. Making Vogt for Pedro Rachel Vogt a calendar can help you stay organized. Setting an alert on your phone to remind you to study is a good way to remember.

Start now. Don’t wait until the last minute to start studying. The more you go over the material, the more you will be able to remember.

Get a good night’s sleep the night before. Having no energy to take the test will hurt your performance.

Wake up at a good time and eat breakfast. Review your material while you are eating. This isn’t a time to cram, but a time to refresh your material.

Good luck everyone. We are all rooting for you.