“Crazy Rich Asians”: Satisfying ending will make you aspire to be very wealthy

A slow beginning turns aesthetically pleasing with interesting characters

Blake Hilkemeir, Staff Writer

Last Thursday, I took a trip down to the Majestic Theatre in Wayne, to watch the newest Dramatic-Comedy, “Crazy Rich Asians.”

The movie starts out in New York City, where young college professor, Rachel Chu (Constance Wu), is living her life with her boyfriend Nick Young, (Henry Golding).

When Nick is called upon by his best friend to be his best man for his wedding, Nick accepts the offer without a second thought. He sees this as a perfect opportunity to take the love of his life, Rachel, back to his home country of Singapore to meet all his family and hopefully gain their approval of her.

Of course, Rachel is beyond excited to travel back with him when she hears about the wedding. She’s a little nervous, seeing as she and Nick’s family have never met. She can’t wait to see her boyfriend’s home country, and meet up with her former college roommate that also happens to live in Singapore.

Unfortunately, nothing seems to go as planned. While making the trip over to Singapore, Nick confesses that his family is very “well off” and can seem a bit judgmental, but as Rachel soon discovers, judgmental is an understatement.

The rest of the movie is full of comedy and drama as Rachel does everything she can to please Nick’s family.

Going into this, I was unsure of how to feel about the movie. I saw very minimal trailers, heard very little about it from peers, and didn’t have many expectations for it.

The first 30 minutes of the movie lived up to what I originally expected. Everything seemed to move a little slow, the jokes seemed dry, there wasn’t much aesthetic enjoyment to it and overall I wasn’t impressed.

But once the main setting of the movie moved from New York to Singapore, the whole movie seemed to switch gears.

More characters were introduced, including all of Nick’s interesting family; the motives of the more sinister family members became clear; and most importantly, the aesthetic beauty of the movie came out.

There was an abundance of colors, extravagant buildings, and other beautiful aspects of the movie that really helped shape it into a solid film.

As the movie went on, it also became more serious. You start realizing just how evil Nick’s family is, and your hope for a happy ending begins to dwindle.

While the ending was predictable, it was very well done. I think they ended it the way most people would like to see it.

“Mostly, the movie is committed to the value of a good time. It is an unabashed celebration of luxury and money, with hints of class conflict that have more to do with aspiration than envy or anger,” said New York Times writer A. O. Scott.

“Crazy Rich Asians” indulges in the escapist pleasures of aspirational wealth, obscene consumerism and invidious judge-iness,” said the Washington Post movie critic Ann Hornaday.

Overall, this was a very well-done movie. The actors/actresses, the camera shots, the script, and the directors did a very nice job putting this piece together. If you’re into chick-flicks, comedies or dramas – this is the movie for you.