New director for WSC Black and Gold show choir

Dr. Adam Webb, a first-year professor, is the new director of the WSC Black and Gold show choir.

Courtesy of https://sites.google.com/site/adamwebbbtenorme

Hana Cingoranelli, Staff Writer

If you’re like some students, awkward and generally untalented, walking through Peterson Fine arts department can be intimidating.

Head towards faculty offices and you might be greeted by the distant sound of a violin, a passer-by delivering an emotional monologue or a collecting group of Wayne State professors who—you’ve seen “High School Musical”—could very likely burst into song.

At the end of the hallway, stationed behind his grand piano in office 103, you’ll meet Dr. Adam Webb: tenor, voice teacher, and director of WSC Black and Gold show choir.

As a first-year Wayne State professor, Dr. Webb teaches all voice students and music classes related to the voice. He also directs the show choir, which will host its first performance in early December.

So what does a voice teacher do? Can those of us who spend our morning showers in tribute to the neighborhood alley cat learn to sing?

“Sure,” Webb said. “Anybody can take voice lessons.There are actually fewer people in the world who are literally tone-deaf than you would imagine, and your voice isn’t done changing until you’re in your forties,” he said.

In fact, Webb’s own voice didn’t change until later in his life.

Before he was an in-demand tenor, the highest range of voice, he was a baritone, almost the lowest.

Since then, he has performed in about a dozen operas, which, during his undergrad, was something he never thought he would be able to do.

Throughout his career, Webb has also sung alongside an orchestra, performed in some musical theatre and several recitals.

You can find videos of his performances on his Youtube channel, AdamMWebb.
When he’s not on stage or improving the voices of Wayne State’s most talented, you can find Dr. Webb singing and dancing along to the “Frozen” soundtrack with his two daughters.

On a personal level, Webb credits his love and pursuit of music to the members of his family who have paved the same path.

“Their passion for music inspired,” he said. “That’s probably why I decided to be a music major in the first place.”

Webb also listens to professional singers for inspiration, and to learn from them. Given the choice, he prefers Jimmy Buffett or James Taylor, along with classical music.

“But right now, I just listen to ‘Frozen,’” he laughed.

In an industry that’s constantly evolving and all based on others’ opinions, Webb stresses the importance of perseverance.

“Being in the music industry in general is very unique, and there’s not a specific mold you can follow to be successful,” he said. “There’s going to be a lot of twists and turns. You get told ‘no’ way more times than you get told ‘yes.’ It’s quite easy to be discouraged. Just don’t give up.”