WSC families get treated to a fun day

“Family Day” proved to be fun for all who participated

Amelia Ivester, Staff Writer

Wayne State College hosted “Family Day” on Sept. 15. “Family Day” included multiple activities for all families to do at WSC.

“Family Day” started at 10 a.m. in the Kanter Student Center atrium. Students registered their younger siblings if they were staying the night, and purchased tickets for the football game, planetarium shows, or meal bundles for brunch and dinner.

Ricki Bartels, a programmer for the Student Activities Board, felt amazed at how the activites turned out.

“There was face painting and she did an awesome job,” Bartels said.“Everyone looked so nice with her art.”

Everyone had the opportunity to participate in arts and crafts, to receive unique balloon work from a balloon artist, and have their face painted by a face painter in the Kanter Student Center atrium.

“There were little pins that said ‘WSC mom’, ‘[WSC] grandma’, ‘[WSC] sister’, etcetera, and could wear for the child,” Bartels said.

“Games on the Green” started at noon on the Band Field. This event was very popular and included multiple different yard games to play such as water pong, Connect Four, giant Jenga, giant bowling, and more. There also was chalk to draw on the cement with.

“I loved watching all the families play together and have fun with all the games we had,” said Nikki Hiner, the student activities board media relations head.

Five different shows at the planetarium in the Carhart Science Building also occurred at the same time as “Games on the Green.” The shows included “STARS,” “Earth, Moon & Sun,” “The Stars We Don’t See,” “Astronaut,” and “Compass, Calendar & Clock.”

Families took the “all you care to eat” advice to heart during brunch, from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., and dinner from 4 to 6 p.m.

A tailgate party was held at the south end zone of the Bob Cunningham Field from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.

The kick off for the football game was at 6 p.m. During the game, a photo booth was up for everyone to use until the third quarter.

“Photos are always fun, especially with props,” Bartels said. “The families took a lot of cool pictures together.”

Unfortunately, the football team lost in a close game against Augustina with a score of 21 – 27. A firework show ended festivities after the football game.

“This day is really important, especially for the freshmen, because a lot of people get homesick and it’s really nice for them to have their family come and just hang out and have their younger siblings stay and maybe want to come here eventually,” Hiner said.

“Family Day” has been around for many years now and is always something students look forward to. Freshmen enjoy getting to see their families, especially after moving out and starting college. Upperclassmen also love this event.

“Sometimes we don’t like to admit it, but we do want to see our family and they want to see us just as much as we do,” said Kelley Ryan, a junior at WSC. “This also gives me the chance to show my family members around Wayne State and they can see what I’ve been up to.”

Everybody loves their family and when they get to see them after being gone for such a long time, it benefits both the students and their families.