WSC fraternity earns national award

Photo courtesy of Delta Sigma Pi

Delta Sigma Pi is a national business fraternity. WSC’s chapter was awarded the Chapter of Excellence award for last year.

Brenna Vovos, Staff Writer

The Delta Sigma Pi fraternity at Wayne State College won the Chapter of Excellence Award this past school year through their involvement within the chapter.

The Delta Sigma Pi chapter is a professional business fraternity open for freshmen through seniors. Business majors are the only ones allowed to join and they currently have 22 members in the fraternity.

“It is designed to help promote professionalism for students in business,” said Jeni Kemnit, director of Delta Sigma Pi.

The highest award the Delta Sigma Pi fraternity can receive is the Chapter of Excellence Award.

“Every chapter in the country has to meet a certain guideline set by the national group and then above that, there is Chapter of Recognition and Chapter of Excellence,” Kemnitz said. “ The Chapter of Excellence is the highest one, and that’s what the Wayne State group did in the past school year. Out of the over 200 chapters in the country only 61 actually got Chapter of Excellence.”

The brothers in the fraternity had to dedicate a lot of time to earn this honor. They had to do things throughout the community and on the campus. Memorizing ceremonies were one of the hardest tasks the fraternity had to accomplish.

“It’s primarily community service, fund raising, attending national events and memorizing ceremonies,” Kemnitz said. “They also have to reach out to alumni, network with alumni and submit a lot of paperwork proving they did these things.” Receiving this award was a long process. There were set guidelines the fraternity had to follow to receive the award. They could choose some things they wanted to do on their own.

“There is about 30 things we had to accomplish, and other stuff we could choose from, like we could have a co-sponsor event,” said Jayme Dubas, president of WSC’s Delta Sigma Pi fraternity.

The fraternity’s hard work paid off in receiving this award, and they are celebrating the accomplishment. “We were really expecting it because we hadn’t gotten it since sometime in the mid 2000’s as a school and as a chapter,” Dubas said. “We are celebrating it as a chapter because it is a huge accomplishment, but besides that we’re nationally recognized in some business magazines, and we get a plaque hung up in Gardner Hall.”

The Delta Sigma Pi fraternity receiving the Chapter of Excellence Award was a huge accomplishment. Their hard work in the community, campus and the within the chapter, paid off.