WSC welcomes families to campus

Students’ families are celebrated with a day of festivities

Amelia Ivester, Staff Writer

There is a lot for families to be excited for because Wayne State College will be hosting “Family Day” on Sept. 15.

“I’m most excited to get the kids/families pumped up with Wildcat spirit,” said London Bercey, student activities coordinator. “I will be on my megaphone, finding people to do their loudest roar, and hand out prizes!”

The day will include themed activities like “Games on the Green,” which includes chalk and lawn games for families.

“The families will be kept very busy, we have a balloon artist/ face painter coming, lawn games, arts/crafts, cotton candy, and a ‘Find a Wildcat’ game throughout the day,” Bercey said.

There will be events for all ages to participate in throughout the day.

The Planetarium will host five different shows, including “STARS,” “Earth, Moon & Sun,” “The Stars We Don’t See,” “Astronaut,” and “Compass, Calendar & Clock.” The Planetarium shows last about 45 minutes.

“Make sure you get your free tickets for the Planetarium shows because they will go fast,” Student Activities Coordinator Sarah Gunion said. “The tickets are available at the Kanter Student Center Information Desk.”

A family brunch featuring eggs, French toast, spaghetti and many other food and desserts run from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. in the cafeteria. Dinner is open from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. and includes BBQ sandwiches, hot dogs, cheeseburgers, and a dessert bar. Meals are “all you care to eat” and tickets can be purchased in advance or in the cafeteria on the day of the event.

A tailgate party featuring a grill out will start at 5 p.m. in the south end zone of Bob Cunningham field before the football game featuring the Wayne State Wildcats versus Augustana University Vikings. Kickoff is at 6 p.m., but gates open at 4:30 p.m. Early tickets are available for a discounted price from 10 a.m. to noon. Fireworks are planned immediately following the game.