Women’s soccer still putting up a fight

The ’Cats are now 0-3 after falling to Augustana

Tarik Urvina, Staff Writer

The Wildcats women’s soccer team suffered a 2-1 loss against the Augustana Vikings (S.D.) after over time on Sunday Sept. 9.

The home game took place east of Bob Cunningham Field and attracted a large group of Wildcats and Vikings supporters. The ambiance stayed strong even after the Vikings scored their second goal of the game in the dying minutes of the game, a miscommunication between the wildcats defenders led to the golden goal for the visitors.

The season of the Wildcats is 0-3 and even with the last game’s results, the Wildcats’ coach Joe Cleary, is still content about how the season is going. “We are doing a lot of good things overall our play is good so I’ve been overall satisfied and it’s good because we have some building blocks so we can go on and do better than before,” Cleary said. “Our team is about family and I think it is showing that we reiterating that we really are about family by doing stuff that’s bigger than the game of soccer.”

Rachel Fraser, an international student from Australia, hadn’t seen her parents for two years so they decided to surprise her with a visit on her birthday. The video of Fraser went viral on social media and even made it to ESPN.

“Alexis Strothers and Natalie Rech are almost four year starters for us in the back and are excellent players,” Cleary said.

Another player to watch is the forward Christina Stasi who is currently the Wildcats top scorer. Christina Stasi was named MVP of the 2017 season for the Wildcats and also received an All-NSIC honorable mention.

“All three of them are seniors, they are doing well this year and keep working hard,” Cleary Said.

The goal for the Wildcats this year is to make it to the top eight of the NSIC and to qualified for the playoffs for the 2018 season. There are 14 conference games left in which the Wildcats will work hard to achieve their goals to make it to the playoffs.

The next two games of the Wildcats will be at home on Sept.14 and 16.

Photos by Branden Faulkner