WSC Homecoming 2014

Jacob Zeiss and Katie Mann named Homecoming king and queen

• Katie Mann and Jacob Zeiss were named the 2014 WSC Homecoming king and queen. The 2014 WSC Homecoming Court included (left to right) Danielle Milburn, Abby Mathis, Bridget Hansen, Kayla Cech, Alexandria Filipowicz, Alyssa Bish, Zach McPhillips, Robbie Hall, Lucas Fedde, Liam Hockley, Nolan Janzen and Cody Stappert. Crownbearers were Josie Ley and Aiden Bohnert.

• Seniors Katie Mann and Jacob Zeiss were named the 2014 WSC Homecoming queen and king on Monday evening.

• Former WSC Homecoming Queen, Alyssa Bish congratulating Katie Mann on her success Monday evening.

• Former WSC Homecoming King Zach McPhillips crowning Jacob Zeiss.

• Former Wayne State College Homecoming King and Queen, Zach McPhillips and Alyssa Bish and their “assistants” preparing to crown the 2014 King and Queen.

• 2014 Homecoming Candidates Abby Mathis and Cody Stappert.

• 2014 Homecoming Candidates Alex Filipowicz, and Robert Hall.

• 2014 Homecoming Candidates Bridget Hansen, and Liam Hockley.

• 2014 Homecoming Candidates Danielle Milburn, and Jacob Zeiss.

• 2014 Homecoming Candidates Katie Mann, and Nolan Janzen.

• 2014 Homecoming Candidates Kayla Chech., and Lucas Fedde.

Janet Rodriguez, Staff Writer

This year’s Homecoming—“Wreck the Warriors”—started off Monday at the Ramsey theatre with coronation.

The Ramsey crowd included many supportive friends and family members for this year’s homecoming candidates and the new king and queen, Jacob Zeiss and Katie Mann.

Caitlyne Molczyk and Matt Henery carried out the coronation ceremony well, introducing all candidates. Before announcing the homecoming candidates, Rachel Sweeny provided a popular performance.

“It was awesome, she owned it,” Rachel Hoesing said.

“It was interesting,” sophomore Shelby Tachovsky said. “Something different from what I listen to, but it was good.”

All candidates proved to be excellent choices for king and queen to represent our school, as all were highly active in clubs, organizations and sports.

Candidates for king included Zeiss, Cody Stappert, Liam Hockley, Lucas Fredde, Nolan Janzen and Robert Hall.

Candidates for queen were Mann, Abby Mathis, Alex Filipowicz, Bridget Hansen, Danielle Milburn and Kayla Cech.

A round of applause was given to runner-ups Hall and Hansen.

The 2013 Homecoming king and queen, Zach McPhillips and Alyssa Bish, made their way up to the stage accompanied by crown bearers Josie Ley and Aiden Bohnert to crown the new royalty.

Both Jacob and Katie had been in their high school homecoming court as well, and Mann was her high school’s homecoming queen.

“I’m very overwhelmed and completely surprised right now,” said Queen Katie. “Thank you to the whole student body who picked me. I’m honored.”

Mann, a senior, is double majoring in elementary and special education. Her activities include Cardinal Key (secretary), Alpha Lambda Delta, SAB, Resident assistant, Resident Hall Association, State Student Education Association of Nebraska (WSEAN), Student Council of Exceptional Children (SCEC) Circle K, Rotaract Club, Rice Rowdies, Intramurals, Bicycle Club, Deans List, Northeast Nebraska Teachers Association (NENTA), Optimist Club and Phonathon Manager.

“I was really surprised,” Zeiss said. “All candidates were well deserving and outstanding this year, so I would have been just as happy for anyone else to win.”

Senior Zeiss majors in elementary education and has a coaching endorsement minor. He’s been active in various activities: State Education Association of Nebraska (SEAN) President, WSEAN, Blue Key, Rice Rowdies, Dean’s List, Intramurals official/participant, SAB, Army National Guard, National Education Association, Scout Team WBB and Wayne High school assistant basketball and baseball coach.