Sometimes change is good

Lisa Davonne, Staff Writer

In the spring semester of 2016, I studied abroad in Greece and that is a story on its own, but while I was in Europe I came to a realization that I was going to have to change my area of study at Wayne State College.

This was so hard for me to grasp because I was dead set on my future since I was eight years old. I think that was the problem in the first place … I was going into college with child-like hopes and not an adult mindset.

In the fall of 2015 (my freshman year) I was in a major that I was dreading going to classes, failing said classes, and being so disappointed in myself for not succeeding in my music major. I was crushed when I repeated the same classes the following fall and got the same results.

Being a vocal performance major was a lot harder than I thought it would be and I do not care what anyone says, if you passed Music Theory I-IV you are a genius!

Being a singer was all I wanted to do since I was a kid, so not being able to pass basic classes to get the degree I wanted was soul crushing. I had not previously thought of what else would be good areas to study for me.

This brings me to the Greece study abroad trip. I had a talk with Lori Utecht in the TRiO program while I was in Greece about changing my major and she suggested an Organizational Leadership and Public Relations major would suit me well.

I did not even know what I would be studying. What career would I even be chasing after?

Turns out being in this major means A LOT of things.

During the fall semester of 2017, I began taking classes toward my new major and I was … happy. I looked forward to going to certain classes and I met so many like-minded individuals who I related to.

I discovered the radio station 91.9 The Cat, which ultimately gave me the experience to apply and be hired at a commercial radio station in Norfolk, Nebraska.

As I head into my fourth year at Wayne State, I realize that it will not be my last year here. Because of this major change and failed classes in my previous area of study, I will be a super senior next year and it is so worth it.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still in women’s choir and you can constantly catch me singing on campus with my earbuds in, but I stepped out of my comfort zone and I think I am finally following God’s plans for my future and not my eight-year-old self’s plan.

So, the main advice here is to look at your options.

If you are in a major that you are unhappy in, odds are you will be unhappy in your career as well. It is okay to ask for help and sometimes your life plans change.

If someone had told me my freshman year that I was going to change my major, travel to ten countries, and be a radio DJ on my favorite station as a high schooler, I would have told them they are crazy. But, here I am. Living that life and I wouldn’t change it for the world.