Men’s soccer club gaining some attention

Club hopes to participate in a league this year

Tarik Urvina, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College men’s soccer club plays several games in both the fall and the spring. The team is open to all students who are interested in playing soccer at WSC.

“I founded the soccer club back in my freshman year with two other students,” Sean Petersen said.

They started off by playing soccer scrimmages with a couple of friends and later came up with the idea to start a soccer club. Soon after, Petersen began the process to make it official in the eyes of the college. Peterson, together with Vice President Vincent Heldoorn and Branden Faulkner, are the officers of the team and they are organizing practices, finances, and scrimmages against other colleges in Neb. and IA.

There are no tryouts or requirements to be a part of the team.

The intention of the men’s soccer club is to form relationships with each other, learn more about the sport, have a good time and help everyone advance their soccer skills.

Besides increasing talent through practices Peterson is also trying to build chemistry into the team with activities off the field.

We have socials in were we go out and grill something or we have like a FIFA game tournaments,” Peterson said.

The men’s soccer club has a variety of goals set for the upcoming year.

“We are laying the foundation for the next five, six years after we leave,” Brandon Faulkner said.

One of the goals this year is also to play more games, participate in a league, have consistent games, playing and gaining more attention at the college.

“We want to see the club grow from what was just a group of guys playing scrimmages to something more official,” Peterson said.

Feel free to contact the Wayne State College men’s soccer club on Facebook to ask any questions, otherwise, everybody is welcome to come watch and enjoy the games this semester.