Bullying doesn’t end in high school

Lisa Davonne, Staff Writer

People often think of bullying as a juvenile act. A group of kids on a playground picking on a specific individual. Maybe it continues in high school, but certainly by college and beyond it is no longer an issue right?

Wrong.

It is true that most college campuses are more tolerable toward a variety of different opinions and have a lot more diversity than most places. Wayne State College is no exception! This campus is where I experience the most support of differing opinions and diversity of friendships.

So where does bullying possibly come into play in the adult world? It is mainly a difference in words. As adults, we tend to stray away from the word “bullying” and call it “excluding”, “talking s**t”, or being “two-faced”. And frankly, I’m tired of it! Call it what it is. A grown adult bullying other people. It can be found in class, in extracurricular activities, and in the workplace.

I challenge everyone who reads this to call someone out next time they are being a bully. Stand by the person who is being talked about. Always remember there are more sides to a story than just one. Let them know that bullying is a juvenile act and if they are bullying someone, they are acting like a child on a playground in the adult world of careers and professionals.

Bullying is very much active in college and beyond, it’s up to us to show others that it has no place here and won’t be tolerated as adults.