A throne lost at the Boyne

Jacob Stewart, Staff Writer

It’s a humid Saturday night, edging toward Sunday. I’ve got a Jameson on the rocks and a documentary playing on the television covering the Battle of the Boyne. I’m trying to get my mind out of the ugliness of our reality, the pure despair of the moment. Senator John McCain has left Earth, the better angel of the Republican Party, gone to rest in a much more peaceful place. However, we are finally seeing the tide begin to turn, and when it comes to our national monstrosity, it’s better late than never.

Our swamp is finally being drained, readers. Yes, but not by Trump. The drainage is from the convictions and plea deals, the crumbling of our corrupt executive branch.

Manafort has been found guilty, Cohen has confessed, and others are turning against President Trump with each passing day. The knives are being drawn on Caesar, and he’s doing his best to distance himself from them all, a beast backing itself into the corner. He could possibly be dangerous in a position such as this, but I don’t believe Trump is smart enough to be anything more than disastrous to himself or those around him, a mob boss willing to turn on anyone to save his own skin at the last second.

Politics aside, it feels good to be speaking to you all once again. The summer heat still remains, but the long wait is over for the dawn of the new semester. While a voice in the back of my mind is telling me that no one is going to read this, I’m comforted by the fact that the Jameson is quieting that cynical menace.

Yet that seems to be the one positive thing I have for you all. We’ve seen far too much malice, too much chaos to be cheered by smiles and pleasant talk. I hope we can return to those days, but at this point, I’m not holding my breath, at least not this far out from midterms.

Ah, I’ve slipped back into politics. For those of you who’ve followed my work, that’s nothing new, but for anyone coming across this with untainted eyes, allow me to apologize, but also, to warn you that the voice of the little-known Bourbon Minority is one that is not easily silenced. Besides, I have a word count to reach, and the insanity of our political scene provides for an easy run at the 500-word limit.

The documentary is reaching the climactic moment now. The forces of William of Orange have crossed the river, pushing the Jacobites fighting for James II to the breaking point.

For those of you who aren’t aware, it was the last battle between two claimants of the English throne, taking place in Ireland during the summer of 1690. The more things change, the more they stay the same….

Someone’s always struggling for power, and someone’s always losing control. The throne of England was lost in a single day in 1690. If only the same could be said for the current presidency. No, for that we’ll just have to.