Freshmen bring to the table in track meet

Hunter Kiburz, Staff Writer

The men’s and women’s track and field team competed this past weekend at Doane University in Crete, Nebraska. Both the men and women performed very well and produced multiple second place finishes with senior thrower, Michaela Dendinger automatic NCAA mark in shot put.

The women’s team had help from a number of freshman runners and jumpers. Freshman Allysa Kimpson recorded a pair of fourth place finishes in the 100-meter dash (12.72) and 200 meter dash (26.09). Freshman Sophie Noecker took fifth in long jump. She jumped 17’ 51/4, while her teammate Molly McCartney ran the 1,500-meter at 5:09.37. Dendinger took over the top throw in NCAA Division II. She threw the best mark of 54’ 2 ½” in the shot to win the event and then threw 165’ 1” in discus and winning that event as well.

“We had a good weekend. We had several individuals that hit either season best or lifetime best marks, which is a sign we are headed in the right direction as we gear up for the NSIC Championships,” said Marlon Brink, head coach.

The men’s track and field team produced a bunch of second place finishes and to highlight the weekend was the NCAA provisional mark from redshirt freshman thrower Cade Kalkowski.

“We have several young athletes, either freshman or sophomores, that are stepping up and contributing to the team,” said Brink.

The second place finishes came from Clay Kramper in the 200- meter dash with 21.87 seconds, Jack Doughty in the 10,000 meter with a time of 34:14:82 and Brady Metz tripled jumped 47’ 11”.

Some other top finishers over the weekend were Brock Hegarty taking seventh in the 1,500-meter run, finishing with a time of 4:13:89. Isaias Solorio was fifth in the 10,000-meter run at 34:40:93 and Brady Metz placed tenth in the long jump at 21’ 9 ½”.

Wayne State is scheduled to compete today at Mount Marty Twilight Meet in Yankton South Dakota.