Sakai gets a facelift

Kori Siebert, Staff Writer

The upgraded version of WSC’s Sakai learning management system will be launched with the May summer session of school.

A more mobile-friendly and browser-versatile Sakai has already been provided to faculty before the official launch for students. This early access for faculty has helped them prepare for summer classes and build content.

“The interface isn’t going to be very much different,” said Eddie Elfers, director of Teaching and Learning Technology. “It’s going to look slightly different but most of the tools are going to operate the same way. I think one of the major enhancements the students are going to like is that it’s going to be much more mobile friendly.”

WSC has been working on getting its major resources mobile friendly, such as Wildcats Online. Sakai will be the newest resource to be made mobile friendly.

Sakai will also be easier to use on a Chrome browser, but Mozilla Firefox is still recommended for Sakai 11.

To avoid confusion when looking for the Sakai link on WSC’s homepage it will now be known as Sakai 11 (Sakai Online Education) instead of the current Sakai Online Education.

“We have been working on this all summer and through the fall,” said John Dunning, chief information officer. “And there are some behind the scenes things that made this a pretty challenging update. So, one is that we started from an entirely new, fresh platform.”

Dunning said there will be enhancements with lessons tools, improved tests and quizzes and a new grade book. Students will be able use it for mathematical equations now, too.

“Jennifer Johnson, an IT specialist who works with me, and I were in the earlier stages of testing and figuring out the best way for faculty to convert their classes from the current version of Sakai to Sakai 11,” said Elfers.

The original system of Sakai was built six years ago. This update has been created for the easiest access for everyone.

Be on the lookout for the newest version of Sakai 11 starting with the May summer session. Check out the newest enhancements and how user and browser friendly it is.