Theta Phi Alpha does color run for Mercy Meals

Kadra Sommersted, Staff Writer

The Color Run will be at 10:30 a.m. on Saturday hosted by Theta Phi Alpha. Late registration starts at 10 a.m. Be prepared to get sprayed with cornstarch and food coloring to raise money for a good cause.

Rachel Quiring, senior and philanthropy chair woman for Theta Phi Alpha said that people can sign up the day of the run if they want. Early registration ended last Friday, which ensured a t-shirt, though there will be extras. Be aware that registration on the day will be $5 more than it was for early registration.

“The route is starting at Victor Park, and you’re going to run on that path underneath the highway and go over by the rugby fields, and then turn around and come back,” said Quiring. “So it’s about a two-mile route all-in-all.”

She said that this route is for both the runners and the walkers.

“We have some non-toxic color that we’re making,” said Quiring. “It’s just cornstarch and food coloring. We’ll just have it in little squirt bottles, and we’ll just squirt it at you throughout the race.”

She said the planning for the Color Run started in January.

“So far we have about eight or nine people signed up,” said Quiring. “Last year, we had about 15 people show up, and they all signed up the day of.”

She said they are expecting a little better turnout than they got last year.

“The run last year was a ton of fun,” said sophomore Ricki Bartels.

She said there’s nothing better than going for a run and getting paint thrown at you.

“This year I have a feeling that more people will come only because the more you do something the bigger the crowd gets,” said Bartels.

She said this year they have been getting the word out about the run a lot better.

“We do it for Mercy Meals, which is an organization in Norfolk, Nebraska, and they help give meals to hungry around the world,” said Quiring.

She said they focus more on orphans and people in third world
countries.

“It’s a great way to get out and meet people in the Wayne community,” said Bartels. “People should know that this is benefitting a great organization that helps people all over the world. It’s a great way to get some exercise while having fun.”

“It’s a great way to get out and have some fun getting colorful while making a difference in lives of kids around the world,” said Quiring.