• May 7Welcome to TheWayneStater.com

WSC is talented

Photo by Kori Siebert

Libby Dunn, Staff Writer

Wayne State College students were invited to showcase their many talents on April 3 in Ramsey Theatre.

An event of the past, Wayne’s Got Talent was brought back to campus last year by the WSC Residence Hall Association (RHA).

“This was an event that we did bring back by request and I think it will continue to grow more and more popular,” said Hannah Smith, RHA president. “We have had good turnouts these two years.”

There were nine different performers signed up for Wayne’s Got Talent. The acts varied between singers, comedians, an accordion player and tap dancers.

“I think this is one of our biggest events we put on campus as far as RHA goes,” Smith said. “It really brings a diverse group of students that we have on campus together.”

The talent show was led by the MC duo of Trevor McQuay and Victoria McNamara. Along with McQuay and McNamara, the night kept rolling with a judge trio made up of the assistant dean of students David McMahan, junior Kody Wageman and Kaitlyn Starman.

Only five of the nine performers were chosen to advance to the second and final round of the competition. Trystan Bennett, a freshman comedian, performed first in the second round. Freshman Brittani Beegle followed, singing “Who’s Lovin’ You” by The Jackson 5.

Freshman Tshiyamba Ngeleka performed third with the song “Jealous” by Labrinth and sister duo Erica and Rachel Rupprecht followed with a tap dance routine. The comedic duo of Cole Beebe and Braxton Dreher concluded the round.

“I thought the performers were all very good,” sophomore Josephine Peitz said. “I really loved the winner’s (Ngeleka’s) song choice in her second round because it was beautiful and showed her range. I also loved both of the comedy acts because I really like to laugh.”

Once the judges made their final decisions, the top three performers were announced and given prizes. Ngeleka, the singer, was the winner of Wayne’s Got Talent. The comedic duo of Beebe and Dreher finished second, and the tap dancing Rupprecht sisters got third.

“I was honestly so nervous all day,” Wayne’s Got Talent winner Ngeleka said. “When I sang ‘Jealous,’ the last song, I was really feeling it though and I thought, ‘Even if I don’t win, I am so glad I got to experience it.’ But winning is an amazing feeling, of course.”