New digital features added to museum

Audio tours enhance learning experience

Leah Kash-Brown, Staff Writer

You look into the eyes of a species extinct millions of years ago.

The smell of mildew drifts through the air. Just by looking at the species, you want to learn more. But having no idea of where to go to get more information, you move on.

Moving throughout the museum, you become more frustrated and decide to leave.

There is a solution for the problem. A. Jewell Schock Museum of Natural History has audio tours that can be listened to not just in the museum, but outside as well.

“The digital museum is a venue where people who tour the museum or people outside that just want to see specimens can access information about the displays,” Director and Curator of Invertebrates and WSC professor Barbara Hayford said.

The staff for the museum is made up of WSC faculty: Hayford, Dr. Mark Hammer, Curator of the Charles Maier Herbarium, Dr. Ron Loggins, Curator of Vertebrates and Dr. Kelly Dillard, Curator of Geology.

Dr. Sally Blomstrom of Daytona Beach’s Embrey Riddle Aeronautical University and Hayford are the creators for the digital tours.

“The digital tours are service projects done by Dr. Blomstrom’s students,” Hayford said. “I put together a set of instructions, the students produced scripts, I gave feedback and then the students produced a final audio tour.”

For this semester, Hayford and Blomstrom decided flight mechanics will be the theme.

“We thought we would talk about the birds and insects that fly, and how flight is produced,” Hayford said.

The Digital Museum provides audio tours to enhance your visit to the museum.

To access the audio tours, just go to the website www.wsc.edu/museum, then to “digital tours.”

You can click on any picture and the audio tour will begin.

You can also open a species’ card while looking at the specimens on display.

The species cards were created by WSC biogeography students as part of a service-learning project.

The museum is open from 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.

“I really am excited about it,” Hayford said. “It’s been long-term planning.”