• May 7Welcome to TheWayneStater.com

Annual rugby tournament

Photo by Julia Baxter

Hunter Kiburz, Staff Writer

The Wayne State women’s and men’s rugby teams competed last weekend in Wayne. These games were the final games until nationals in a couple weeks. WSC hosted the regional finals for all the teams competing Saturday and Sunday.

All season the men and women were successful and competed at a high level. “UND and St. Scholastica were perfect games for us since they run very similar offenses to MiraCosta,” said Darrin Barner, head coach. The Wildcats were able to play well all weekend and held two teams scoreless.

The men’s team played two very physical games. The Wildcats came to play early, and came out with two victories over the University of North Dakota and a win over No. 13 St. Scholastica.

Even a cold, windy weekend didn’t slow down the Wayne State women’s team who went undefeated also and are getting ready for nationals in the next couple weeks. The women’s team held Pittsburgh and Iowa scoreless with a combined score of 90-0. After holding those teams scoreless, they also got a huge win over Simpson College with a score of 61-21.

Coming up this weekend, the women’s team plays MiraCosta which is a physical and fast team.

“The team is going to have to eat some Wheaties the morning before MiraCosta,” said Barner.

The women’s team also qualified for the National 7 on 7 Championship in Pitttsburgh, April 28-29.

After the wins, players and coaches both stressed defense as an area to improve on, so when nationals comes they are ready to stop the opposing team from long runs and long throws. Being in the right spot before the ball starts moving is a big key to stopping the opposing team.

“We for sure have to practice defensive alignment big time next week, so we can prepare for a national semi-final,” said Barner.

Both teams will be playing in the nationals. The men’s rugby team will be playing April 21 in the Final 4 against their most physical opponent all year, MiraCosta. The women’s rugby team will play April 28-29 in Pittsburgh, in the 7 on 7 Championship.