Yikity yak, don’t talk back

J’Ron Erby

Yik Yak creators Brooks Buffington and Tyler Droll.

A few weeks ago a student approached me with a peculiar grin on his face and asked if I had Yik Yak.

To which I replied, “No, I’m immune. I got my shots this summer.” He stood there looking baffled and walked away a few seconds later.

In the next few days I was asked the same exact question a handful of times, each peer having that same creepy grin on their face as they asked.

I wasn’t sure if this “Yik Yak” was a disease or some lunch special being served in the gag.

So, like the nosey, information collecting student I am, I did my research.

The next day I realized the same mediocre food was being served at lunch, so I sadly had to rule out the possibility of Yik Yak being a succulent dish.

As I sat there eating my chicken patty and cold fries, I overheard some teammates talking about Yik Yak.

From what I gathered it was basically like Twitter, minus the profile pictures and the followers, then sprinkle in a bit more vulgarity. Finally, make every post anonymous and there you have it. Yik Yak.

I was encouraged to download it but had to give it some deep thought. I already enjoy tweeting more than actually engaging in conversation with about 80 percent of humans, and I check Instagram at least once a day to see some beautiful faces or something that may intrigue me.

Then there’s also Snapchat taking up my data month after month. Do I really want to give in to another social network?

Yes. Of course I do.

I gave into the peer pressure, downloaded it, and after a few minutes of scrolling I came to the conclusion it was stupid.

It seemed like the main users were probably freshmen. And you have to understand why they like it.

I mean… they’re freshmen.

Everything is anonymous so people could actually write the things they wouldn’t have the courage to say in public or post on twitter.

There were the posts about how much fun college is, to how lonely they are at night, to how hot the football player in the blue shirt is. which totally confused me because I wasn’t wearing a blue shirt that day.

As I continued to randomly check my Yik Yak feed every few days I found myself actually interested in a few posts.

There were surprisingly some witty remarks I chuckled at. I found out there are others that are intrigued by Ms. Haas just as much as I am. And I am still searching campus for this infamous guitar guy.

Still not using it frequently, I found myself wondering if someone Yik’d about me. Or Yak’d about me, I’m not sure what the kids are calling it.

While some prefer it, the fact that everything is anonymous bores me. I want information.

I want to know who is saying what, I don’t want to have to wonder.

Personally, I easily prefer twitter. Yik Yak doesn’t really intrigue me as much as it might others.

Though every once in a while in your feed of Yak’s you find some gems.

Most of the posts are filled with nonsense, or topics I just truly don’t care about.

At the same time I still must say kudos to 23-year-old Tyler Drood and Brooks Buffington, the creators of Yik Yak.

The app is said to be used on 85 percent of college campuses in the U.S. This may be the next big social media app.

Gentlemen, Mr. Zuckerburg would be proud.