Rugby season returns with a vengeance

Both the men and women impressed over the last weekend

DaQuan Samuel, Staff Writer

The Wayne State men and women’s rugby team competed this weekend against Iowa State, University of Northern Iowa and Simpson College.

The men’s team continued their run from the fall while the women’s team kicked their season off.

The men’s team defeated UNI and suffered a tough loss to Iowa State. With one minute left and the ball at midfield, the Wildcats couldn’t get the ball down field and were defeated by two points.

“We’ve been working really hard even though the weather hasn’t cooperated,” said Head Coach Darrin Barner. “We practiced indoors before spring break and we’ve been outside as much as we can since then.”

The men’s team has 29 players on the roster, which is more than last year, with the majority of the players being freshmen and sophomores.

“I’m really impressed with how the young guys have learned the game,” said Barner. “We’re very athletic and we’re firing on all cylinders.”

The men’s team will play an Elite Eight game against the No. 1 ranked team in Texas. They face the Letourneau University Yellow Jackets from Longview, Texas, at 1:45 p.m. this Saturday at the Wayne Rugby Park with a chance to advance to the final four with a win. The Wildcats earned their trip to the Elite Eight with a 36-31 victory over Creighton.

“They know they’re coming into the ‘Wayne house of pain,’” said Barner. “We’re expecting a wild and crazy student body to cheer us on to the final four, so come get loud and proud.”

The women’s team had their first tournament of the season at Simpson College in Indianola. The ’Cats played and beat the University of Northern Iowa 36-5, Iowa State 28-0 and Simpson College 24-12 to improve to a 30-0 record to begin the season.

“To win another national championship, we are focusing on getting better at each practice and game we have by perfecting our plays,” said team captain Leanna Rosebeg. “We also make sure our new recruits fully understand the game so they are ready to step up at any time.”

The women’s team has 13 girls on the roster along with a few girls committed but not able to play this semester. That number is a bit smaller than in years past but Rosberg is hoping to gain more recruits to increase that number by the fall.

“The biggest role I take on as captain is helping guide the team,” said Rosberg. “Whether that is by making sure everyone is attending study hours to make sure our grades are in good standings, attending practice as often as possible, and coming to conditioning to make sure we are all doing what needs to be done in order to play our best game. I help the team with any problems or concerns and try to resolve them as best as I can.”

The team prepares for games by practicing three to five times a week and conditioning two times a week so the team feels confident with their game plan and fitness.

The women’s team plays three friendly games against Letourneau as well this weekend at 12:20 p.m. 1:40 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.

The Wayne Rugby Park is located three blocks South of McDonald’s at 903 E. 4th St.