Women’s basketball regular season ends with a win

Wildcats extended a 10 game win streak in their final game versus Winona State

Hunter Kiburz, Staff Writer

The Wayne State Women’s basketball team ended the regular season with a buzzer beater against Winona State. The Wildcats extend their win streak to 10 games and are 24-6 and 18-4 in the NSIC, while the host Winona State dropped 14-12 and 10-12 in conference play.

The Warriors and the Wildcats exchanged baskets for the majority of the first quarter with four lead changes and two ties before the Wildcats took a 19-13 lead after one.

“I think something we need to work on as a team is just being more consistent with our defense and our defensive communication,” said senior Paige Ballinger.

Before halftime, the Warriors outscored the Wildcats 15-9 and tied the game up at 28-28 heading into intermission.

In the second half, there was a lot of trading baskets, the Warriors came out of halftime ready to play again and hit eight of 14 shots and led 49-44 after the end of the third quarter. WSC wasn’t done though. They went on a run themselves and tied the game 49-49 early in the fourth quarter.

WSU took a 59-58 lead with a minute left in the game. The Wildcats only took one shot with a minute left and it was the biggest shot of the game with a buzzer beater by freshman Erin Norling to give Wayne State a 60-59 win.

“Over the last month our defense has improved immensely,” said Christopher Kielsmeier, head coach.

Senior Maggie Schulte led the way for the Wildcats with 20 points followed by freshman Erin Norling with 14 points and the winning basket. WSC shot 51.1 percent from the field and six of
14 from behind-the-arc, but going a perfect eight for eight from the charity stripe. Winona State was able to out rebound the Wildcats 29-22. Schulte grabbed five boards, while Ballinger grabbed four.

The Wildcats will be at home to host the first round of the NSIC Sanford Health Women’s Basketball Tournament. They host a game
against Minnesota Crookston tonight at Rice Auditorium.