Dancing to Blue Jupiter

Students watch talented a cappella group

Libby Dunn, Staff Writer

Blue Jupiter, a talented a cappella group from New York City, impressed WSC students in Ramsey Theatre last Thursday night with their unique sounds and personable, enthusiastic attitudes.

Before watching Blue Jupiter that night, I had never seen an a cappella group perform live. Sitting in front of my TV watching “Pitch Perfect” (along with the two other unnecessary sequels to the first one) was the closest I had been to witnessing a group of people sing without instrumental accompaniment.

I had to try my best to not look up Blue Jupiter, which performs all over the world, on Spotify to prepare myself, because it’s 2018 and really easy to pull up info within 0.5 seconds. I’m glad I practiced some self-control by waiting though.

There was a pretty low turnout for the show, which made me feel kind of bad. But then I remembered they’re getting paid either way, which assuaged those feelings. Also, my face almost froze from the bitterly cold wind on my way to Ramsey from Morey Hall, so that may have been a factor.

“With the weather tonight, it seemed like not a lot of people wanted to come out,” SAB President Madi Limbach said. “But I mean, they paid for it, so they should come get their money’s worth out of their student fees.”

When Blue Jupiter came out on stage, I thought to myself, “Wow, an overkill of the black outfit thing, but lots of enthusiasm and cool sounds going on.”

The group, composed of three men and one woman, started the show with a rendition of Taio Cruz’s “Dynamite,” so I, along with the crowd, “threw my hands up in the air sayin’ ayo, gotta let go.” You may think I’m joking, but I’m not. It was actually really fun.

They were really enthused, so I couldn’t help but be enthused myself. At one point, one of the men came into the crowd and had us sing into the microphone. I got to fulfill a dream that I didn’t even know was on my list: singing the words “yeah, yeah” into a microphone.

Though I had some pretty high expectations from “Pitch Perfect,” I was not disappointed in the performance given by Blue Jupiter. They performed 14 songs, each of which sounded very different from the rest. Some of my favorites from the set list included a rendition of “I’m Yours” by Jason Mraz, a jazzy twist on “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell and an odd but neat take on Elvis’s “Can’t Help Falling in Love.”

Although those three songs were very well done, my favorite song performed was their take on “Ain’t It Fun” by Paramore. The vocals weren’t as good as those of Haley Williams (lead singer of Paramore), but I guess that’s to be expected, and Blue Jupiter’s rendition came in a close second to that of Williams.

After the show, Blue Jupiter sat on the front of the stage and talked to the “small but mighty” group of attendees for a bit. They were personable and open to questions, as they perform at quite a few colleges all over.

“The way we’re getting to sit on the edge of the stage today and hang out, it’s different than if we are at a theatre with kids and grandmas,” said Diana Preisler, female lead of Blue Jupiter. “Colleges are super intimate and personal.”

Blue Jupiter did not disappoint WSC, and I’m glad I can now reference Blue Jupiter when talking of a cappella instead of referencing “Pitch Perfect.”