Track continues to roll over records

At SDSU, the Wildcats took first place in several events

DaQuan Samuel, Staff Writer

The men and women’s Track and Field team competed at the SDSU Indoor Classic and the NSIC Indoor Heptathlon where another pair of school records were broken.

Robert Sullivan and Derek Lahm took home first and second place in the Heptathlon held Sunday and Monday at Myers Fieldhouse in Mankato, Minnesota.

Lahm scored 5,063 points for second place putting him at 14th place among all others in Division II. While Sullivan took home first, scoring 5,202 points, and ranks ninth in the nation breaking his own school record of 5,141 points set at last year’s NSIC Heptathlon.

“My teammate Derek and all my competitors, they pulled me through, it’s all thanks to God,” Sullivan said.

Sullivan took first in the shot put, high jump and 60-meter hurdles. Lahm took first place finishes in the long jump and the 1,000-meter run.

“It’s a huge boost for the team with their 18 points for the NSIC Indoor Track and Field Championships,” said Head Coach Marlon Brink.

Sullivan went on to be named the NSIC Men’s Indoor Field Athlete of the week for the first time in his career.

Wayne State junior Clay Kramper broke his own school record in the 200-meter dash for the second week in a row.

The meet attracted over 40 schools from NCAA Division I, II and III along with NAIA and junior college teams. With more than 1,400 athletes competing in the twoday event, this meet was one of the premier indoor meets in the Midwest.

Kramper bested his record time of 22.07 seconds this weekend with a new time of 21.94 seconds, for an eighth place finish out of 159 runners. Kramper received a 20th place finish in the 60-meter dash with a time of 7.08 seconds while senior Braxton Adams followed with a time of 7.11 seconds.

“Our combination of good athletes and great training has led to a peak for us and we’re hoping to see even more personal bests,” Brink said. “It’s a good experience for us to do well at a meet that big, it really prepares us to be ready to compete at conference when there’s that many athletes for the kids to compete against at one meet.”

Senior Brady Metz finished sixth in the triple jump with a mark of 14.19m and 12th in the long jump at 6.73m. Habib Jallow placed 11th in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.53 seconds and Nathan Pearson finished 22nd in the 600-meter dash in a time of 1:24.45.

Freshman Hanna Lazure and senior Mary Alderson recorded the top finishes for the Wayne State College women’s indoor track and field team.

Lazure tied for 13th place in the high jump, clearing 1.54m. Alderson posted a 15th place finish in the 600-meter dash with a time of 1:39.36 and ran just under one minute in the 400-meter dash with a
time of 59.99 seconds.

Joan Jelimo came in 25th place in the 600-meter dash at 1:41.48. The 4 x 400 meter relay quartet of Alderson, Sophie Noecker, Allysa Kimpson and Jelimo finished 16th with a time of 4:06.24.

The entire Wildcats team will be competing at the Husker Tune-up Invite in Lincoln Friday evening.