Track team breaks barriers in last two meets

DaQuan Samuel, Staff Writer

The Wayne State Track and Field team had two members set new school records at the Frank Sevigne Husker Invitational and recorded numerous top 10 finishes at the Fred Beile Classic in Crete, Nebraska, Saturday.

Wayne State junior Clay Kramper of Homer, Nebraska, set a new school record in the 200 meter dash previously held by Tim Pilakowski, with a time of 22.07 seconds, beating the old record by three tenths of a second for an eighth place finish in the meet.

“It’s always exciting breaking new barriers and creating new history. It’s proof that our hard work pays off,” said Head Coach Marlon Brink. “We have high hopes for our team this year.”

Senior Brady Metz finished third in the triple jump with a distance of 14.38m while freshman Brock Hegarty recorded a third place finish in the 1,000 meter run with a time of 2:41.46. Habib Jallow finished fourth in the 60-meter hurdles with a time of 8.42 seconds.

Isaias Solorio finished seventh in the one mile run with a time of 4:45.82 and ninth in the 3,000-meter run finishing with a time of 9:52.93. Dylan Kaup finished fifth in the weight throw with a distance of 17.15m.

Senior Michaela Dendinger from Hartington, Nebraska, set a new school record in the shot put. Her throw of 16.72m gave her the top throw in the country leading the closest competitor by two and a half feet, beating the old school record of 16.45m set by Sara Wells in 2015 at the Division II Indoor Championships.

“I’ve been eyeing that record for a long time and Sara was a great thrower so to break it is a big accomplishment for me,” said Dendinger. “The field was stacked with great throwers, which helped create an environment similar to nationals. I think it will help me feel more comfortable when it’s crunch time.”

Dendinger also finished fourth in the weight throw, heaving it 19.20m at the Husker Invitational, preforming against the nation’s top Division I athletes.

The women at the Fred Beile Classic also achieved multiple top 10 finishes; Sophomore Tia Jones took home fourth place in shot put with a throw of 13.82m, while freshman Allysa Kimpson placed sixth in the 60-meter dash with a time of 8.13s and seventh in the 200-meter dash finishing at 27.15s.

Senior Mary Alderson finished eighth in two events, the 200-meter dash finishing in 27.38s and 1:44.22 in the 600 meter run. Kim Lowman finished tenth in the one mile run in 5:33.74.

The Wildcats will hit the road again this weekend to participate in the South Dakota State Classic in Brookings, South Dakota. The throwers will take the weekend off from competition as they alter their training, while heptathlon competitors Robert Sullivan and Derek Lahm will be competing in Mankato.