Wrestling team visits Las Vegas near the end of season

Hunter Kiburz, Staff Writer

The Wayne State wrestling team traveled to Las Vegas, Nevada, to wrestle at the NCWA Regional Duals on Jan. 27.

“There were 12 teams BYU, CSU and University of Nevada Las Vegas. You know, big schools, always bigger than Wayne State. We took third place,” said Gregory Vander Weil co-head coach. “losing a close semi-final match to Colorado State.”

BYU ended up winning the tournament followed closely by Colorado State and then Wayne State, who lost in the semi-finals 29-21. The Wildcats’ opened up with a 30-20 win over UNLV. After the semi-final loss the ’Cats came back to handle UNLV a second time 40-17 showing the mental strength and superior conditioning of the young Wildcat wrestling team. There were many impressive wins by the Wayne State wrestling team, VanderWeil said, which included three undefeated wrestlers and many high placed wrestlers.

Leading the way for the Wildcats’ was senior captain Spencer Trout at 184 lbs who went 4-0 with four pins. Sophomore Gerald Kenkel at 174 lbs was also 4-0 with three pins and a technical fall. Following right behind them was freshman wrestler 125 pounder Alejandro Martinez went 4-0 with two pins and a major decision.

“I think the most improved would be Gerald Kenkel our 174 pounder, he’s really stepped up and he went 4-0 also at Las Vegas,” said senior Trout.

During their time down in Las Vegas they were able to enjoy the nice weather and be able to walk the strip and see different attractions. “It was nice to see some different scenery, it was a lot warmer weather down there,” said Trout.

The Wayne State wrestling team has a couple more duals left before NCWA Nationals in Allen, Texas.

Make sure you come out to support the wrestlers on the next dual in South Sioux City.