Lady Wildcats for the win

Rachel Vogt, Staff Writer

The Wayne State Women’s Basketball team won both of their home contests this weekend against Winona State University and Upper Iowa University.

WSC held Winona State to just 25 percent shooting as the Wildcats rallied for a 74-37 win over the Warriors.

The Wildcats dominated the game, despite their two top scorers, senior forwards Maggie Schulte and Paige Ballinger, going scoreless in the first half while scoring a combined nine points in the contest.

WSC made up for the lack of scoring from its seniors by hitting 10 3-pointers.

Winona State held a 10-9 lead in the first quarter until the Wildcats went on an 8-0 run to end the quarter, giving the ’Cats a 17-10 lead.

In the second quarter, WSC hit four 3-pointers, three from junior forward Andrea Larson and one from sophomore point guard Evelyn Knox pushing the score to 37-21 heading into the halfway mark of the contest.

WSC held the Warriors to single-digit scoring in both quarters of the second half, holding Winona State to 3 of 12 shooting in the third quarter. WSC seized a 52-29 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

The WSC lead continued to grow in the final quarter as the Wildcats shot 50 percent from the field. WSC eased into a 74-37 win over the Warriors.

Freshman forward Erin Norling led Wayne State with 17 points, going 8 for 12 from the field, while junior forward Andrea Larson and Knox added 12 and 11 points respectively.

The Wildcat women kept the momentum going in Saturday’s contest against Upper Iowa University in an 89-55 win over the Peacocks.

The score was tied at 8-8 early in the game with just over six-and-a-half minutes to play in the first quarter. WSC then took the lead for good with an 11-0 run to finish the first quarter with a 28-11 lead.

The Wildcats held a 20-12 scoring advantage in the second quarter to take a sizable 48-23 lead over the Peacocks in the first half.

Wayne State outscored UIU 26-15 in the third quarter for a 74-38 lead while Upper Iowa produced a 17-15 scoring advantage in the fourth quarter to seal the Wildcats with an 89-55 win.

Freshman guard Halley Busse led the ’Cats in scoring with 14 points, with Ballinger following with 10.

Ballinger had four of WSC’s 20 assists in the game and had three of the ’Cats five blocked shots.

Wayne State will be at home again this upcoming weekend, facing St. Cloud State in a 6 p.m. contest on Friday night, and Minnesota Duluth in a 4 p.m. contest on Saturday.