College bookstore gets a facelift

Kori Siebert, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College Bookstore is getting its first makeover since 1995, starting Monday at 7 a.m. with completion planned for Feb. 3 at 1:30 p.m.

“The paint and the carpeting in here is original to when this part of the building was built in, I believe ’95,” said Tim Barnes, bookstore manager. “It’s going to be an updated look. One of the things, when we were asking the school what they would like to see in it, was an urban look.”

The bookstore will be getting rid of the island in the middle of the store. Textbook shelving will come out and new rolling shelving will be put in, as well as new carpet, paint and new cash register area. There will also be a text desk in the back area.

All the walls will be cleared Monday morning, so construction can start right away. By Wednesday, workers will be bringing in new fixtures and be installing them.

Wayne State has been planning the renovation since last summer. It takes about 10 weeks to get fixtures ordered, and the design had to be planned. Jeff Carstens, vice president and dean of Student Services, and Chad Altwine, director of Facility Services, worked closely with Barnes.

While the renovation is taking place, the bookstore will be moved to the Meadowlark Room in the catwalk of the Kantner Student Center.

“We’ll try to keep the same hours, but we’ll have to be flexible because I’m not sure what to expect,” said Barnes.

The regular hours for the book store are Monday through Thursday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., Friday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Saturday 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“As far as products, what we are going to offer is pretty much the same,” said Barnes. “We did get added to the computer program, so we are going to start selling computers.”

As far as the computers go the bookstore won’t be selling them until later in the summer.

“At other bookstores in our company they’ve been adding graphics because we want to represent the school,” said Barnes. “We want to be tied into the school, so they are designing a graphics package that will go along the ceiling.”

Barnes said the graphics will take some time to design, so an open house will take place in the spring after the renovation.

“It’s going to be nice to have this finally happen,” said Barnes.