Food pantry benefits students on campus

Volunteers needed to keep food pantry open every Friday

Kori Siebert, Staff Writer

Running out of ramen and don’t want to call mom and dad? Well help is available at WSC’s food pantry.

The new food pantry located in the basement of Morey is making its way to Wayne before the end of the month.

The food pantry is open to all students currently enrolled at Wayne State College who live on or off campus. The food pantry is student based and looking for more volunteers to keep running.

“(My favorite part of volunteering for the panty is) just knowing that this service is helping people who need it,” said junior Shelby Wallick.

Wallick has been a part of the Multicultural Center her whole college career and through that she started to get involved in the pantry and has now been volunteering for two years. The pantry was originally inherited from Counseling Center and the Multicultural Center and is now run through the director of Residence Life, Quinneka Lee.

“Shelby is a great resource and without her hours we would not run,” said Lee

Wallick is a student worker and volunteer who helps keep the food pantry open for those who use its service. Since Wallick is the student side of the pantry she is in charge of restocking food, making advertisements, fliers and keeping track of the email account.

Wallick said they are always in need of more help because volunteers are the ones to keep the pantry up and running. The pantry is operated by mostly volunteers and there are currently only three to four regulars.

“If there are students looking for service hours we highly encourage them to come to the food pantry because we need those students to help,” said Lee.

The pantry gets food through donations from faculty and staff, alumni and many other places. They have also teamed up with other clubs and sports teams in the past to acquire food.

The pantry has been on campus 10 to 12 years but is now getting moved down the hall to a bigger space. The organization has carpeted the floors, are getting new shelving and the Pepsi company donated freezers for cold items.

Lee said on a good day between 15 to 20 students use the pantry, but anyone currently enrolled at WSC can come get food for whatever reason.

The pantry is located in the basement of Morey Hall and is open from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. every Friday, but if the pantry isn’t open they are available to be called at 402-375-7318. Another way to contacting the pantry is stopping by the Resident Life office or emailing Lee at [email protected].