C.A.R.B. comes to WSC

Kadra Sommersted, Staff Writer

The Community Accessible Recycling Bin (C.A.R.B.) has been in use since it was put out near the hospital in Wayne.

“Matt Mullins in the Student Senate came to me and wanted to find some place to put a recycling bin that the community can use on campus,” said Kyle Nelsen, assistant director of Facility Services. “So we came up with a solution and put it up by Lot 10.”

The C.A.R.B. provides easier access to recycling than in the past, said Matt Mullins, Student Senate president.

“What we wanted to do is have a spot outside that you could bring (recycling) 24/7,” Mullins said.

Gill Hauling was contacted about the recycling bin and has been supportive of the recycling initiative, Mullins said. They even donated a bin and told the school that it can be decorated.

“We found a couple of art students, and contacted the Art Club,” Mullins said. “Meghan (O’Connor) is the adviser for the Art Club.”

O’Connor was the one to suggest artists, and they then painted the bin, Mullins said.

Five artists contributed to the art on the bin: the artists were Lexi Culver, Bibiana Luevano, Cassandra Lindgren, Emily Heermann, Shelby Bruss and Mackenzie Oliver. There will be a plaque with their names on it, Mullins said. He also said that there will be a four by six foot sign, with two solar powered LED lights on top of it.

“It’s always going to be well lit,” Mullins said. “So 24/7 you need to have enough lights out there if people are going to bring stuff by there in the dark.”

Mullins said that it’s important to know what people can and can’t put into the bin. The bin accepts aluminum cans, plastic bottles, cardboard, and paper. It doesn’t accept glass and bags.

“I had no idea when we started this that you can’t have your recyclables
inside a trash bag, and you throw the trash bag in there,” Mullins said. “You have to dump them out of the bag.”

There will be a second container available to prevent the trash from coming in contact with the recyclables, Mullins said. There was a problem with trash bags in the bin and contaminating the trash. The recycling will not be recycled if there is trash inside contaminating it.

Nelsen said that he is helping to find a place to put the sign that designates what can and can’t be put in the recycling bin.

“The recycling bin, like anywhere else on campus, is comingled recycling,” Nelsen said. “Be aware not to contaminate the recycling bin with trash.”

People are urged to make proper use of the new C.A.R.B.