WSC soccer team ends season on high note

Evelyn Knox, Staff Writer

The Wayne State soccer team ended its season last weekend. The Wildcats won 1-0 over Southwest Minnesota State Friday afternoon, in the final home game of the season, and tied Sioux Falls 0-0 Sunday afternoon. Wayne State finished the season 4-8-6 and 3-7-5 in NSIC conference play.

“Even though we did not have the winning season that we wished for, I cannot describe how proud of this team I am. We fought until the very end,” said freshman Rylie Wehner. “Going into overtime eight times in one season is very difficult to do, and our team definitely showed our
character.”

In the final home game of the season, Rachel Fraser scored her first goal of the season, which was the only goal of the game in the ninth minute off of a corner kick to give the ’Cats the 1-0 win over SMSU. WSC held off a late rally by SMSU in the final five minutes of the game that was blocked by goalkeeper Rachel Grisham to seal the win.

The Wildcats finished the match with an 18-8 advantage in shots over SMSU. WSC held a 4-2 edge in corner kicks, while both teams were called for seven fouls. Wehner added five shots, followed by Christina Stasi with four shots. Grisham produced her third shutout of the season with two saves in the win over the Mustangs.

In the final game of the 2017 season, Wayne State traveled to Sioux Falls to battle USF in a double overtime tie 0-0.

“‘Bittersweet’ is the only way to describe being done playing. You feel so proud of your accomplishments but at the same time you are not ready to leave anyone yet,” senior Hannah Knight said. “Being a part of this team and ending my senior year with this group of girls is more than what I asked for. We had a great year and got better.”

USF held a 10-2 shot advantage over WSC in the first half. The second half featured USF with an 8-5 edge in shots over the wildcats. Wehner had four of WSC’s 11 shots in the contest with two on goal, along with junior Brooke Buzzle. Alexis Strothers and Knight also had shots on goals for Wayne State. Sophomore goalkeeper Grisham posted her second straight shutout and fourth of the year with eight saves.

The contest marked the final game in a Wildcat uniform for two seniors, Bryana Garcia and Hannah Knight.

“This group is a very hardworking bunch and they are going to do great things in the future,” said Knight.