‘Cats earn NSIC win on late-game catch

• The football team got a narrow win againts Concordia St. Paul. Quarterback Taylor Reedy was injured halfway through the game, but the team pulled through. The Wildcats play next at Mankato against Minnesota State on Saturday at 12.

Tyler Nagy, Staff Writer

The Wayne State Wildcats football team defeated Concordia St. Paul 27-23 on a late game score by Nate Rodgers on Saturday in Wayne despite quarterback injuries.

“I think everybody did a great job rallying around Mitch and helping give him confidence,” said Zach Osborn, senior quarterback. “Nobody used it as an excuse and guys stepped up and made plays.”

WSC moves to 5-4 overall and 3-2 in the NSIC while Concordia St. Paul moves to 1-8 and 0-5 in the Division.

WSC scored on the very second play of the game with a 70-yard touchdown run from senior running back Rashad Trimble.

Taylor Reedy threw 20-yard touchdown pass to Layne Sullivan at the 3:01 mark in the first quarter as things were looking to get out of hand for the Golden Bears. However, the Bears came firing back before the end of the quarter.

The Golden Bears ended their next drive with a touchdown by sophomore quarterback Maxon Hutton on a nine-yard run, capping off a five play, 67-yard drive cutting the deficit to seven as the Wildcats still led 14-7.

The second quarter was a story of field goals as Wayne knocked one in from 18 yards and the Golden Bears made one from 38 yards to move the score to 17-10 at the end of the second quarter.

Quarterback Reedy left the game with an injury halfway through the third quarter, as the Wildcats were stifled gaining only 40 total yards in the quarter. Concordia was able to convert on two more field goals, moving the score to 17-16, still in favor of the Wildcats.

Redshirt freshman Mitchell Hansen replaced Reedy at quarterback. The cats scored early in the fourth quarter on a 32-yard field goal moving the score to 20-16. The Bears capitalized on good field position after a WSC three and out later in the quarter and capped off a 34-yard drive with a three-yard touchdown pass to Deceon Schumann, giving the Golden Bears their first lead of the game at 23-20 with 2:56 remaining.

This was Hansen’s time to shine. He conducted the Wildcat offense 75 yards and threw a 15-yard touchdown pass to Rogers, giving the Wildcats the final lead of 27-23 with 23 seconds remaining in the game.

“Mitch Hansen came up big when we needed him and hopefully we can build off it,” said senior punter Cody Netusil.

The Wildcats travel to NSIC No. 3 ranked Mankato on Saturday. Kickoff starts at noon.