Career Fair provides possibilities to students

Employers attend to find students that might become employees or internships

• The Career Fair hosted employers to look for potential employees and interns. Many booths were set up to show students what the companies are about.

Kori Siebert, Staff Writer

The semi-annual Career Fair at Wayne State College took a running start by hosting an average of 70 booths from area businesses.

“I think the fair is something the students need to participate in both semesters until you get ready to graduate,” said Jason Barelman, director of career services. “It’s a great opportunity to learn more about the companies in our region, what they’re looking for, and a lot of them have suggestions as well.”

Barelman said employers had a lot of good compliments about the freshmen who came this year, mentioning that they were prepared and asked a lot of really questions.

“(The Career Fair) definitely gave me insight to see different shadowing opportunities or volunteerism that I need for my profession, and also some careers I could pursue later,” said Makayla Brockhaus, freshman.

Brockhaus also said the fair showed her different job opportunities in Wayne and neighboring communities.

Barelman described the Career Fair as “a learning process.”

“I have several favorite parts (of the Career Fair),” said Barelman. “I loved talking to the employers, I love seeing the alumni that come back to represent the companies they work for as graduates of Wayne State, but then I also really enjoy guiding students to employers that might be interested in their major.”

The first of two Career Fairs of this 2017-2018 school year took place on Oct. 25 from 11 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. in the Student Center. Another Career Fair is scheduled for the spring semester.