• May 7Welcome to TheWayneStater.com

Wildcats triumphant in homecoming football game

Team momentum made the crowd roar with pride and school spirit on Saturday after a 20-6 win

The football team showed Wildcat ferocity during Homecoming. The next game will be on Thursday against Sioux Falls at home.

Tyler Nagy, Staff Writer

The Wildcat football team defeated the Southwest Minnesota State Mustangs on Saturday. The Wildcats won with a final score of 20-6 during WSC’s homecoming weekend, moving the ’Cats to 4-2 on the year and 2-0 in the NSIC.

“It was really fun to get a home win in front of our crowd, especially on homecoming,” said Cody Netusil, senior punter. “Everybody stepped up and did their part. We need to keep our momentum rolling into Thursday night’s home game versus Sioux Falls.”

The Wildcats’ first six points came from a field goal in each of the first two quarters after two long drives. SMSU’s first score came with seven seconds left in the half on a 37-yard field goal.

The ’Cats controlled the clock in the second half. They capped off an 80-yard drive with a two yard touchdown pass from senior quarterback
Zach Osborn to Nate Rogers to push the lead to 13-3 heading into the fourth quarter.

Southwest’s final score came from yet another field goal in the fourth quarter after the Wildcat defense forced the Mustangs into a field goal at the seven-yard-line at the 6:52 mark, lessening the gap to 13-6. However, there would be no more points on the board for SMSU the rest of the game.

Rashad Trimble turned on the jets as the senior rushed for a 52-yard touchdown late in the second half to push the lead to 20-6, assuring the win for the Wildcats.

WSC finished with 366 total yards from scrimmage and SMSU only 260 tallied. WSC dominated on the ground, rushing for 219 yards on 40
attempts and one touchdown. The Wildcats also totaled 147 yards through the air, and one touchdown. SMSU had a passing focused game plan as they only rushed for 49 yards on the ground and 211 yards passing. There were no touchdowns scored by the Mustangs.

Quarterback Osborn totaled 147 passing yards and one touchdown. Osborn managed to have a solid game, all while on a fractured foot.

“I would say that once the adrenaline kicked in, I was ok,” Osborn said. “(I) just can’t move around as well as I could before and I just have to adjust my drop so I can get more depth in the pocket.”

Layne Sullivan led the receiving crew for the Wildcats with 47 yards. Shymere Williams totaled 37 yards receiving while Rogers added 35.
Trimble rushed for a whopping 159 yards and one touchdown.

Mustangs quarterback Connor Wilkie threw for 211 yards on the day while wide receiver Nate Huot tallied 59 receiving yards.

The Wildcats will take their momentum into their next game next Thursday night against the No.6-ranked University of Sioux Falls Cougars. The game begins at 7 p.m. at Bob Cunningham field in Wayne.