The Wildcats on the ball with conference

With a win and a tie, the Wildcats showed their ability to work together

Tyler Nagy, Staff Writer

The Wayne State College soccer team won its second conference game against Moorhead on Friday with a score of 1-0 and tied with Northern State on Sunday with a score of 1-1.

“We did an extremely good job of connecting and playing through our midfield,” said Natalie Rech, junior defender. “Every player fought to get any sort of touch on the ball, and throughout the whole game, everybody was each other’s biggest supporters, which always leads to a positive outcome on the field.”

The first half versus Moorhead was a scoreless affair as the Dragons held a 10-6 advantage on shots.

The game remained relatively uneventful until the 75-minute mark when a throw-in by Rech was mishandled by the goalkeeper, giving the Wildcats a 1-0 lead late. The Dragons did not have enough left in the tank to tie it up within the 15 minutes remaining.

MSU had a 15-14 advantage in total shots but the Wildcats had the advantage with shots on goal at 8-4. Moorhead also was called for 11 fouls and WSC was called for just two.

Rech scored her first goal of the season while freshman Rylie Wehner led the team in total shots with four. Lauren Fleming and Alexis Strothers both added two shots on goal for the Wildcats.

“I think we connected through the midfield really well by passing to feet and having good movement off the ball.” said Christina Stasi,
junior forward.

Stasi scored her team-leading third goal of the season as the Wildcats came away with a tie after extra time.

The goal came early in the game, at the 11-minute mark. WSC remained
in the lead until Northern State’s Emily Reiten found the back of the net at the 59-minute mark. Neither team scored in the rest of regular time or in extra time.

Wayne State held the advantage in total shots with 16-15 and also
had the advantage in shots on goal, six to three. Northern State had
a big advantage in corner kicks, 13-5. Northern was whistled for 10 fouls, while WSC had seven.

Wehner added four total shots while Madison Burgard added three shots with two on goal. Stasi also had three shots.

Sophomore goalkeeper Rachael Grisham was credited with two saves and one goal allowed.

WSC’s next game is a home match on Friday afternoon. They will host the No.13 ranked Minnesota State Mavericks at 2 p.m.