Soccer team takes on tough opponents

Evelyn Knox, Staff Writer

The Wayne State soccer team improved to 1-2-3 overall and 0-1-2 in conference play after battling two tough NSIC conference opponents, University of Mary and Minot State, this past weekend at the WSC soccer
pitch.

The ’Cats opened up the weekend facing a tough Minot State team at home Saturday afternoon, falling short 0-2. The Minot Beavers came out aggressively and scored early, in the 12th minute of the contest, on a free kick, giving them a 1-0 lead at intermission.

“Our practices have all been in preparation for each game and we are really focusing on how we can beat each team tactically and technically,” said junior forward Cristina Stasi. “We always focus on the next game and keep our
eyes on what is to come in the future.”

Minot held a 21-14 advantage in shots over the Wildcats and also a 4-2 advantage in corner kicks. Freshman Rylie Wehner led WSC with three shots followed by Hannah Knight, Rachel Fraser and Alexis Strothers, with two each. Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Grisham had nine saves while allowing two
goals in the loss Saturday.

Sunday afternoon, Wayne State battled the University of Mary to a 0-0 tie in extra time. In the contest, Mary held a 17-14 advantage in shots over the
Wildcats and 7-4 in shots on goal. Adding to that, Wayne State was called for 18 fouls compared to 17 on Mary. Both teams were even with three shots
apiece in the first half and each team adding eight shots in the second half.

Sophomore Sophie Ketchmark had the last attempt of the game for the Wildcats, with 11 seconds remaining in the second extra time, but missed wide
left. Senior Hannah Knight led Wayne State with three shots, two of which were on goal, while freshman Shelby Bullard added three shots, one on goal.
Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Grisham accounted for seven saves in the contest for the ’Cats.

“Something big that we need to take away from this weekend is to continue to work hard, and stay positive because doing so will help us obtain results this season against tough opponents,” said sophomore forward Calista Moch.

Wayne State will be on the road Friday visiting NSIC conference opponent Winona State University in a 5 p.m. contest.