‘Cats still topping in XC

Nathan Pearson, Staff Writer

Isaias Solorio and Molly McCartney were once again the top finishers for the Wildcats during cross country action in Lincoln on Saturday.

WSC competed at the UNL Greeno Invite at Pioneers Park. The men finished 10th out of 12 teams and the women were 8th out of 13 teams.

Lightning delayed the women’s race for an hour. It finally started at 10 a.m., followed by the men’s race at 10:30. For the first time this year the women’s race was a 6k and the men’s was an 8k.

“Honestly it was one of the hardest races due to the fact that it was so humid and the race kept getting delayed,” Solorio said. “The terrain was
very rough; we had those two giant hills during the race and you really got tested there how hard you had been training.”

Solorio was the men’s top finisher in 80th with a time of 28:02, followed by Jack Doughty (92, 28:23), Brock Hegarty (119, 29:26), Bailey Peckham (146, 31:00), Nathan Pearson (147, 31:05), Jesus Arellano (151, 31:20) and Nathan
Heimer (162, 33:04).

“I feel like the men got a little too excited and went out too fast too early,” Head Coach Marlon Brink said. “The guys did not run as fast as they are capable of. We’re in better shape than the results indicated.”

Freshman Molly McCartney was the women’s top finisher once again. She finished in 79th with a time of 24:40, followed by Joan Jelimo (108, 25:33),
Brianna Crouch (118, 25:57), Kim Lowman (120, 26:06), Josephine Peitz (163, 28:44), Sabrina Sack (171, 29:28) and Mary Alderson (177, 31:05).

“The women made pretty good progress from our last race,” Brink said. “It was really a better performance from top to bottom for the women’s team. Molly had the fastest time out of any of our women at the course since 2010.”

Wayne State ran on the course for the first time since 2013.

WSC will run again this Saturday at the Roy Griak Invite in St. Paul, Minnesota, which is one of the largest NCAA cross country meets in the nation.