Welcome to adulthood

Kristin Jindra, Columnist

We’re all adults here, aren’t we? At least, I like to think we are. I feel like lately I’ve wished too many times that people would just grow up. And I’m not specifically talking about college students; I’m honestly talking about people in general, any adults who are out of high school, but seem to still be stuck there.

My main issue is all the drama. I get sick of hearing people complain all the time and talk about drama, drama and more drama. On top of that, they seem to have this incessant need to constantly one-up everyone, whether it’s bad or good. I hated high school, but I’ll admit that was a phase of my life that carried on into college. But I am proud to say that five years later I’ve grown out of it, for the most part. I still bitch and moan every once in a while, who doesn’t, but it’s not a constant bereavement of complaints like some. So let’s grow up a little, shall we?

No more excuses. You do something wrong, it’s YOUR fault. Own up to it.
You’re going to have to start paying for stuff, so it’s probably a good idea to get a job and KEEP a job. If you don’t like it, too damn bad. We all do shit we don’t like. If it’s that bad, look for another job and PUT IN YOUR TWO WEEKS when you’ve started the new one. This also means you should finish your entire two weeks like every other respectable adult.

No one likes a whiner, so suck it up. If it’s really that bad that you have to complain all the time, consider going to a therapist. Otherwise keep your damn mouth shut.

If you have issues with someone, whether it’s a romantic relationship or not, cut them out of your life. NO ONE needs that.

We all have responsibilities, so start living up to them. Whether it’s college, a job, kids, whatever, take the damn responsibility or don’t do it. Period, end of story.

Don’t judge. You may think you know someone you’ve never even met, but I can almost guarantee that you don’t, so give them a chance. That means you have got to have about two full-on conversations with them before making a final judgment. Even then, people DO change so keep an open mind.

Keep your head and don’t do anything supremely stupid. We’re still going to be stupid, it’s human nature, but you can avoid the drastic things that are going to have an obvious negative affect on your life.

Be a thinker. Critical thinking requires you to see the world in many different ways. Be able to see new ideas and examine every position. It’ll help your life and it’ll help your future.

Gain some maturity. There’s a certain level of immaturity to be maintained, but if you’re serious about any of your life goals you’d better be mature enough to follow them, otherwise don’t be surprised if they don’t work out.
This may sound harsh, but it’s the cold, hard truth. And the sooner we start learning this lesson, the sooner we’ll be able to make our lives better and move forward. All lives will be better if we can start acting like adults and get our heads out of high school.