Families come to campus for weekend of fun

Annual event encourages siblings to experience life at Wayne State College

Kyle Hamilton

Students and families had fun playing games during Family Weekend

Hunter Kiburz, Staff Writer

This past weekend was Family Weekend at Wayne State College. Students were encouraged to invite their families to spend the weekend at WSC and participate in a series of events.

“I think it was great,” said Quinneka Lee, director of Residence Life. “We had a larger turnout with the little sibling portion, which is what Residence Life works with and oversees. We had about 86 little siblings register for that event. I thought it was good there was a lot of excitement, seeing students connect with their family.”

Lee said many of the little siblings wore specially designed T-shirts, which she said was really cool to see.

The goal of family weekend is to help students and their families connect with each other since they don’t get to see each other every day.

Students use family weekend as an opportunity to catch up on things they have missed, have fun with each other and enjoy the campus and college life.

Lee said that activities for little siblings included karaoke and painting in the residence halls.

“Overall I think it was a great event,” Lee said. “Games on the green is our second year doing that, so it is really nice to see kids with the kites and chalking and then face painting. I think sometimes we did age range from 6 to 16 so maybe something for those teenagers would be an
area we can work on in the future.”

Overall this past weekend was a success, according to Lee, allowing students and families to come together.