WSC gets ready for homecoming ‘Pride on the Prowl’

Kadra Sommersted, Staff Writer

Wayne State College is preparing for this year’s homecoming week, to be held Oct. 1 through Oct. 7, which will be filled with many activities
ranging from a pep rally to homecoming coronation.

“We do try to create some commingling among alumni and students as much as we can during that week,” said Laura Robinett, director of Alumni Relations.

“We have lots of stuff going on
during homecoming,” said Sarah Gunion, student activities coordinator.
“On Monday, we are doing a hypnotist named Josh McVicker the Trickster.”

This will just be the beginning of the festivities to expect for homecoming week.

“Wednesday night is our pep rally and glow dance,” Gunion said.

The pep rally and glow dance will both be held in the Hoffbauer Plaza, so students will go straight into the dance after the pep rally, Gunion said.

In addition to the normal festivities of homecoming week, stores around town will be showing their Wildcat pride by painting their window fronts and sidewalks.

“Thursday is a really nice day, -that’s our scholarship luncheon,” Robinett said. “It’s a special invite for our donors who have set up
scholarships and also students who are receiving scholarships, so it’s a
really unique way to connect our donors and the students who are receiving their scholarships.”

Robinett said that the scholarship luncheon is a good way for the students to meet the donors they are receiving their scholarships from, as well as the donors getting to know the students they donated the scholarships to. Along with getting to know a little more about each other, the donors get to see the difference they made for the students with the scholarships, she said.

“It’s a good way to see the people who have supported Wayne State and how much it means to them,” Robinett said.

“Friday is usually a pretty busy day for us,” Robinett said. “We do
invite our trustees back for some activities throughout the day.”

She said that they are excited for the Conn Library grand opening and
ribbon cutting which is planned for that afternoon. The opening will run
from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m., and the ribbon cutting will be at 4 p.m.

Some other events to keep an eye on are the window and sidewalk painting, open mic night, the undie run, the Willy Olympics, the women’s soccer game, the Greek Olympics, homecoming coronation, the homecoming parade, the Wildcat tailgate party and the football game. These are just a few things that students can do around the campus during homecoming week; grab a brochure around campus to find out more.