Gelbart earns service-learning scholarship

Most students have only one experience with the program, director says

Tyler Nagy, Staff Writer

A WSC student’s service-learning experience may have given him the edge as a scholarship applicant.

Andrew Gelbart is the recipient of the 2017-2018 ServiceLearning Endowed Scholarship. Gelbart will receive an award of $500.

“His varied service-learning experience in both art and communication gave him a slight advantage,” said Lisa Nelson, director of Service Learning. “He had six service-learning experiences. This is unusual, as most students have two or three experiences.”

Nelson said that most the graduates – around 65 percent – have only one experience.

Gelbart is a senior at Wayne State College majoring in graphic design and minoring in communications.

“Fifteen excellent students applied for the service-learning scholarship,” Nelson said. “Andrew was among the top five.”

Every student who completes at least two service-learning projects and has completed 30 credit hours at Wayne State College may apply for the prestigious scholarship.

Service learning is defined as a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility and strengthen communities.

If any students have questions about applying for the scholarship for the 2018-2019 academic year, they can contact Lisa Nelson for more information.