• May 7Welcome to TheWayneStater.com

Swimming in winter?

WSC hopes to open pool by the end of the fall semester

Carl Ruskamp, Staff Writer

The newly improved and renovated pool is underway and will be open for recreational use soon.

“Last academic year the water level in the pool was going down, a very unusual amount,” Jeff Carstens, vice president and dean of students, said.

“While water does go down with all swimming pools due to evaporation, there was some kind of a leak. However, while there were a number of attempts to stop leaking, none were successful.”

Wayne State College has been working for roughly a year fixing this issue. The pool’s deteriorating structure was also creating the risk of damaging the foundation of the entire rec center, Carstens said.

“We started a repair process with engineers and other consultants to identify if this pool is repairable or if it needed to be replaced,” Carstens said.

The repair crew did some minor patching to mend the leak and put in a new liner.

“We are not certain this is going to fix the leak,” Carstens said. “We will open the pool back up, if we do not find any extensive leakage of the pool.”

The college is working to improve the ability of students to use the pool effectively.

“If the pool doesn’t turn out to be fixed, we will dig deeper into the matter and analyze what needs to be fixed,” Carstens said.

Carstens hopes the pool will be opened by late October or early November although there is no specific date.

The pool offers aqua zumba as well as intramurals and lap swimming.

“The swimming pool is 25 yards long, and approximately 50 yards wide,” Athletic Director Michael Barry said.

This allows students to utilize the pool as one community joined with other tenants. The pool varies in depth from 4 feet to 12 feet and there is one small diving board.

“There are many programs for senior citizens students and community people,” Barry said. “For example: open swim, class of the PED department, lap swim, as well as our athletes and a recovery day to help you get off you feet.”

Students and the community will be able to utilize this pool to stay in shape, burn off some of those extra calories or for recreational purposes.

“The Wayne community swim team has utilized the swimming pool as a backup for tenants to receive the benefits of the pool,” Barry said.“We meet the standards and guidelines when it comes to opening our swimming pool. For example we test the water and pH to be sure the water fits the guidelines.”

Chemical burn can be an effect when it comes to improper pH, so the college wants to be sure to meet the requirements observed by the state of Nebraska.

“Students get access to the pool with their ID cards; however the public will be able to get access to the pool for $20 a year,” Carstens said. “We understand how important the pool is to the community, as well as Wayne State College students and our academic programs.”