• May 7Welcome to TheWayneStater.com

Area bands will participate in Bressler-Fest

Variety of musicians get a chance to showcase their skills for the Wayne community

Bressler Park will be rockin' and rollin' the next few weekends. Bands will perform at the Bressler Park which is located between Lincoln Street and Douglas Street and between 9th and 10th streets. Come enjoy some great music and hang out with the community. Bressler-Fest begins Sunday at 6 p.m. wiht the Front Porch Pickers. This band includes Alan Broflat and Jim Lindau. Later, Paradox, a band consisting of Paul Karr and Tim Sharer, will perform.

Jill Braderson

Jill Braderson

Kadra Sommersted, Staff Writer

Wayne has a music festival of its own now, thanks to a Wayne resident who organized Bressler-Fest in Bressler Park.

“It’s never been a festival before – something I just thought up,” said Jill Brodersen. “There is a stage in the park and the electricity works fine so I thought, ‘How hard is it to set up something like this?’”

Many towns have music festivals of their own, and Wayne will not be any different starting Sept. 10 through Oct. 1. Bressler-Fest will be Sunday evenings from 6 to 8 p.m. and will feature a variety of performers who have an affiliation with Wayne State College and the community.

Brodersen said she is a long-time lover of music and has been going to these types of festivals in the surrounding area.

“Nothing is going on in the summer because all the students are away from college back home,” she said. “So I thought that having it be the four weekends after Labor Day would be perfect, with everyone back and having a few weeks under their belt.”

Bressler-Fest will start this Sunday in Bressler Park at 6 p.m. The first concert features the Front Porch Pickers, with Alan Bruflat, Language & Literature professor, and Wayne physician Jim Lindau; and Paradox, with chemistry professor Paul Karr, Physical Sciences & Mathematics professor, and Tim Sharer, former professor with the School of Education and Counseling.

The event is sponsored in part by Sandra Bartling and a grant from the Wayne County Convention and Visitor’s Bureau. Stonehouse, with Eddie Elfers, director of Teaching & Learning Technology, will perform Sept. 17. Sept. 24 will feature the Funk-A-Holics, and the finale on Oct. 1 will feature the E-Z-B Combo.