Learning about other cultures from international students

Anna Cole, Staff Writer

Mary Carstens, a learning skills specialist at Wayne State College, has been working to put together a support group for international students.

The goal of the group is to help international students get out into the community and experience Wayne by pairing them up with members of the Wayne community.

This would provide international students a chance to connect with the community and spend time away from campus for meals and outings. It also would give community members a chance to experience different cultures.

“Everyone will get something out of this,” Carstens said.

She went on to explain the various needs an international student may have that could be met through this project ,such as transportation around town to get clothes, to occasional meals during breaks.

Carstens came up with the idea after getting connected with an international student who wanted to live in Wayne over the summer to work a full-time job and learn to cook. She invited him to live with her and her family over the summer, and she wants other students and community members to be able to have that experience.

The project is just getting started and there are still things to get worked out, but Carstens is hoping to get as many international students paired up as possible.

“We are going to try and have a pot-luck before the end of the semester with international students and community members,” Carstens said.

People interested in being a part of the support group are encouraged to contact Mary Carstens for more information.